Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hi y'all!

Thanks for putting this together Rach! I used to do old fashioned quilting back when my oldest babies were babies and I was in RS presy and we always had one going for homemaking days/nights, and we used them for raising money (back when RS raised money), and to demo for Missionary open houses. But personally I have never made a quilt, only stitched on the frame when we had them up. So to piece blocks together will be a good experience and fun...I hope! This is actually a homemaking skill we have been told/taught we all should know to use up castaway clothing and such and to know how to make blankets should we need to. I appreciate all your effort! Now, where do we get the patterns?

OH I am supposed to say something about me-huh? I am Granny Graham, Rachel's mom-in-law and Joey's mom and Avery and Ansley's Granny or Granma Pogo since we are known by our dogs! Joey is # 6 of 10 kids, and we are expecting grandbaby #16 in June! What blessings! I am excited to think I might have the time and energy to do something like this. I graduated from nursing school in May of 09 and will be working soon in the school system. I was an acute care nurse on the ortho floor and then in mental health. But I want to be close to my last baby at home, for her last two years of school so I am getting into the school system and will be working there soon. I taught myself to sew when my kids were little, but will try the piecing of a block and hope I can turn out blocks you will be happy with.

5 comments:

  1. you can find patterns and tutorials online everywhere. Rose will post a pattern that she wants us all to do for Feb and hers is in a book so she'll scan in the pics and post them for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally excited you are doing this with us. I am like you I am wondering where the patterns are. I am not one to design it. I am way toooo busy for that. Rosanne assures me she will help me find one or help me pick out a design/pattern. Beki, this will be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NAME: Karin Rebecca Graham go by "Beki" among other names, my favorites being Mom and Granma

    WHERE DO YOU LIVE: Marietta, GA (as an army brat: born in Texas -El Paso---GO TEXAS! Produces HOT women--huh? ;> , then Germany x 2, VA, SC x 3, GA x 2, Hawaii, AZ x 2, OK, CA.)

    HOBBIES: doing things for and with my grandkids (I love to send them each mail every month...definitely becoming a big production!); reading-mostly non-fiction but do enjoy some fiction; writing-mainly kids stories, but am working on a few short stories; knitting-mainly Christmas stockings as we add a new ones. But there is nothing more fun that is legal than being a granny!!! :>

    SEWING EXPERIENCE: I taught myself at the ripe old age of 22, I inherited my granma's OLD antique machine with the long attachment that you pushed with your thigh, it was way cool and we needed luau outfits for me and Gary especially since we were cooking the pig in our back yard!!!! From there I made a lot of my maternity clothes and oldest four kids clothes even baptismal, and Halloween-which I would use a basic pattern but then make up my own stuff to create what I needed as there were no patterns at the time, now, oh sheesh, y'all young mom's have so many resources and choices at your fingertips that I only dreamed of! once those four were done it was hand me downs to the other six. The last thing I sewed was making a prom dress for Kimi in hmmm around 1990? And other than quilting on quilts already pieced together, I have not done any quilting!

    WHAT IS YOUR BEST FEATURE: ahhhh, hold on, need to call my husband, I see y'all asked yours,but before I do, I am told by everyone-my legs, so that is the best I guess-though I been told my eyes and lips, but now I am anxious to see what the hubs says ;) .....

    WHAT CRAZY THING DO YOU WANT TO TRY: well, I always push myself, and I have already done a few crazy things in my life: had 10 kids (my goal was 12), went to school and graduated with RN almost 2 years ago, now on my radar is learn to play the fiddle, learn Irish Dancing and maybe Tahitian Dancing, try various jobs out, since I have cut my boys hair for over 30 years it would make sense I should get my hair cutting license, go on church missions....who knows what else -- the world is the limit! OH I KNOW....Join a quilting blog, as I begin a new job! (hmm sort of rhymes!)

    WHAT MAKES YOU PANIC: Gosh, being a mom,granma and RN gives me lots to panic over, but I have learned to turn much of it over to the Lord, it is NOT good for my health! True moments of stop my heart panic come from moments when I get strong impressions something is wrong with my family somewhere and when I thought I had made a mistake in nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, HELP!!! I obviously did not do this right...mine does not have the pretty colors and I see no where to add a picture...maybe I need to learn to blog before I learn to quilt!!!! :)

    Can anyone fix it or tell me how to fix it?

    thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete